Minimum Term: August 2020 – July 2021
Building a high performing team, meeting captivating people and creating an inspiring event with friends was the best way I could have spent my free time at Aston University. I am Tristan, the lead coordinator of TEDxAstonUniversity 2020 and I am looking for you to step in my shoes. My goal is for you to make this project event even better than it has been so far.
This is a rare opportunity for you if you are driven, committed and have a can do problem-solving attitude. You will have the chance to find, recruit and work with some of the most driven and fun people at Aston.
You will lead your team to find exciting speakers and performers, secure a stunning venue like the REP, and design a mesmerizing experience for your 100 guests, all while being supported by our advisory board. But the sky is your limit. You are expected to take initiative and develop your own vision with your team.
Sounds like a fun challenge? Apply today and take the lead for TEDxAstonUniversity 2020/21!
To listen to me speak about the society and position with the Students’ Union click here.
Note: This role carries significant responsibility. It is the most intense, requiring significant dedication, experience and time commitments. It will be difficult to balance running TEDxAstonUniversity with a part time job and your degree.
- Writing the license application
- Setting and managing against the objectives for the year
- Helping the team achieve organizational goals effectively and harmoniously
- Solving problems for all departments
- Coaching team members where necessary
- Create a supportive and value driven work environment
- Representing TEDxAstonUniversity throughout the University and wider Birmingham communities
- Resolving conflict
- Supporting the team with making the best decisions
- Motivating and empowering team members to learn, grow and achieve
- Support with the execution of tasks where needed
- Creating a strategic plan for TEDxAstonUniversity
- Take full responsibility for everything that happens in the society
- A basic understanding of organising events
- A basic understanding of management vs leadership
- An understanding of team dynamics
- Familiarity with the TEDx Rules
Skills & Abilities
These will all be things you may encounter in this role. Having all at the outset is not always possible but you will have to learn them if needed.
- Be able to think analytically in order to get to the heart of complex problems and issues
- Able to navigate uncertainty
- Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organised way
- Initiates action, gives direction and takes responsibility
- Supports others and shows respect and positive regard for others in social situations
- Works well in situations requiring openness to ideas and experiences
- Negotiation skills
- Strong time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Communicates and networks effectively by relating to others in a confident and relaxed manner
- Delegates work effectively
- Can handle pressure
- Able to teach people
- Capable of working in the detail and the big-picture
Attitudes, Attributes and Behaviours
- Sensitive to team members’, speakers’, performers’ and partners’ situations
- Willing to do what is necessary
- Open to new experiences and ideas
- Active listening
- Eagerness to learn
- Growth mindset
- Committed to every team member’s growth